Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Caterpillars to Butterflies

Philosophia by Guggenheim Grotto
When we’re young we set our hearts upon some beautiful idea
Maybe something from a holy book or French philosophia
Upon the thoughts of better men than us we swear by and decree a
Perfect way to end the war of ways the only way to be a...

Work of art, oh to be a work of art

But in time a thought comes tugging on the sleeve edge of our minds
Perhaps no perfect way exists at all, just many different kinds
Oh but if it’s just a thing of taste then everything unwinds
For without an absolute how can the absolute define...

A work of art, oh to be a work of art

~~~

Being a work of art, this is what I set out to do through self awareness and transformation.

Transformation, defined through my own terms, is the act of a butterfly. Starting as a caterpillar, life is wonderful and good. It's fairly clear that my form is set; I'm long with many legs, with some playful variation in texture. One day, I'm drawn to make a chrysalis in which I will transform myself into a butterfly. What I will come out as is unknown to myself, but the result will be that of my creation.

I'm not content to take just one form. So, I choose to put myself into the chrysalis state as much as I can. Pushing myself to go there, so that I may create a new being in every moment.

Last weekend I put myself into this chrysalis state by participating in the Landmark Advanced Course. Through this work, I saw that my usual state of being is one in which I do not trust people and that I tend to "do life" by myself. There's nothing wrong with this state, in fact it has served me quite well. I'm an independent business gal, living a very successful and happy life. The butterfly in me, however, is interested in going further...being truly awake in all of my choices.

Now that my eyes have been opened to this usual state, I am free to create something new if I choose. Before, I wasn't aware that a choice existed. This journal will serve to reflect upon the choices I have made with my new pair of self-awareness spectacles.

The possibility of this journal is one of inspiration, intimacy, and generosity to the world around me.

Enjoy the adventure.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great quote! I can definitely relate. Let yourself be colorful and fly - even with the swarm! (Just hang out with good rabble. ;)

Danielle Lynne said...

If you like the quote, check out their music :)